Think about it...
In case you missed it yesterday, Apple announced the iPhone 7 and the feature getting the most buzz is - no wired headphones. Why did they do it? Observe the high and mighty talk from Apple courtesy of The Ringer:
"Perhaps because the company’s stealthy public relations team sensed the impending anger of their customer base (which, lol, includes Alan Cumming), Schiller offered an explanation to as to why the company chose to take the dive into über-minimalism.
“Now, some people have asked why we would remove the analog headphone jack from the iPhone,” Schiller began. “It really comes down to one word: courage. The courage to move on, do something new, that betters all of us. And our team has tremendous courage.”
Mmmm-Hmmm. Which made me think that the people who eliminate performance reviews are a lot like Apple at it's worst - when they make decisions for consumers. Let's count the ways:
1. Apple - we had the courage to do this. Anti-Performance Review People - You know reviews suck, we're just brave enough to end it.
2. Apple - if you still want to use the wires, here's a 4 inch dongle that will make you look 70 years old. Anti-Performance Review People - you can totally still do reviews, but we'll be over here being interviewed by Fast Company. We're confident that will work out well for you, do what you're comfortable with (imagine patronizing tone).
3. Apple - we're trusting the consumer to go with us- to the future. Anti-Performance Review People - we're trusting managers to coach on a more frequent basis. You're right - they can't even advise their direct reports on strategic moves by our company without blaming the leadership team, but we're sure their going to battle through the confrontation and coach weekly.
4. Apple - our move to eliminate the headphone jack isn't about money/selling accessories. Anti-Performance Review People - our new process isn't tied to money in any way. We haven't figured out how to do merit increases in the new world order yet, but we're confident we'll have a plan soon.
5. Apple Consumers - we love the new phone! Wait, what am I supposed to do with my wired accessories again? Employees in companies eliminating reviews - Yes! No reviews, I hated those things. Wait, how am I supposed to know how I'm doing vs my peers? My managers going to organically give me that data over time? Huh?
Apple = Anti-Performance Review People
If only there was a big phone dongle the Anti-Performance Review People could hand you when they find out you're still doing reviews.