If there's anything I've tried to live up to in my professional life, it's the need to communicate things to the lowest common denominator in any organization. After all, life moves pretty fast, and if you don't stop to look around and consider whether all the people you are communicating to understand what you're saying, you're destined for failure.
So we (you and me) work to communicate to that lowest common denominator. But sometimes you find yourself putting out a training guide on how to mute a call on the iPhone - because someone told you that was needed.
I've had that type of moment in the last month. It was surreal, and I was part of putting out a guide so remedial that I could hear this Talking Heads song playing in the background.
How did I get here? The days go by...
Do some people need a guide for how to mute calls on an iPhone? (not the real situation, but work with me...)
No. No they don't. We create these types of guides 10% of the time because people aren't intelligent enough to figure out what's in front of them. The other 90% of the time? We create these guides in response to people not using a technology/process because they're too lazy.
So of course - we MUST create a training guide to take that excuse off the table.
Then they don't use the tech/process moving forward and the managers in question never address it in performance. Because you know, that's hard.
When all this goes down, I have a simple video I send the people I care about who are impacted by doing the aforementioned work that will be ignored. It's called "Spelling Bee" from a comedian named Brian Regan (rare clean comedian) and the set is Regan making fun of how dumb he was in school. Play the video below (email subscribers click through for video) to hear about his challenges in Spelling Bees and Science Fairs. It's gold.
Soon you'll be sharing this with your own team and saying "IT'S A CUP...OF...DIRT. I CALL IT CUP OF DIRT"....