True story - I'm getting ready to talk to China Gorman (SHRM COO) on Tuesday at the SHRM National Conference, and a Caucasian dude walks up to China and rips off something like this:
China said something back in the same language. Then the dude ripped off something like this:
At which point China indicated she didn't speak the language.
So the guy points out her nametag and says words to the effect of "But your name is China, so I...."
Awkward silence. The guy was dead serious. Dude, If you're reading this today, you were a super nice guy, but I had to share that story... Duuuuuuude....
ANYWAY, since this was the first SHRM conference I've attended in awhile, I thought I would sit down with China and talk about the state of the Annual SHRM Conference. The video of our conversation is below and the topics include:
1. WARMUP - what were China's favorite moments at the SHRM conference in New Orleans?
2. Welch and Kotter - Those were the two hot speakers this year, how does SHRM intend to keep the business/HR flow going in future years?
3. Dave Ramsey - What happened? Why were so many attendees talking smack?
4. Why aren't there more pure HR practitioners presenting at the show?
5. What are the toughest issues SHRM faces in providing a great experience to HR practitioners in the field?
6. SOFTBALL: What's China's favorite Sheryl Crow song?
7. Next Year's Music: Can I get a he** yeah for AC/DC? Or since it's in San Diego, how about some local flavor with a little Blink-182?
Take a look. Thanks to SHRM for having the HR Capitalist and Fistful of Talent teams out to cover the show. A trip worth taking...
Capitalist Note - I knew as soon as I said it that AC/DC formed in Australia, but I'm steeped in the band's European history, like the fact that Bon Scott died in London... I'm a little surprised that China didn't correct me on that one... Anyway, it'll be good to see the boys in San Diego. You want a band from down under? Go find the lead singer from Men at Work...