Picture this. The year is 2012. I've just been tapped as a SVP of HR at a Fortune 50 (Exxon? Wal-Mart?). Weird deal - the CEO was a Feedburner subscriber to the blog, and he just called me up. Go figure. Anyway, I roll into HQ and find out ALL of the previous corporate and field team has donned their parachutes and booked before they even had a chance to meet me. Nice.
So, I've got key positions to fill. What's a hack like me to do? Call headhunters? I don't think so. I'm going with the highest end human capital people I know. The people who have brought it every day for the last 5 years, naked to the world with their thoughts on how to get it done. That's right - the bloggers...
So I start pounding out the calls and emails. After two weeks, my team is in place. It's a good team, one with the talent to make my options worth something when they vest. As for me? With this team, I'm staying in the strategy, baby. A player, like Gordon Gekko. On the treadmill in the office while doing deals. Here's the lineup of the team that makes that possible:
--VP of Compensation - Ann Bares, Compensation Force. First order of business, make my vesting shorter..
--VP of Benefits - VACANT - A hole in my blogger strategy... Ann will have to fill in, no interim pay... Savings go to my stash of Diet Mt. Dew and Powerbars...
--VP of Staffing/Recruiting - Michael Wolfe, The Career Revolution or Jim Stroud of Jim Stroud 2.0. Time to fill moves to 40 days or I move to the next guy....
--VP - Employment Law - Michael Moore, Pennsylvania Employme
--VP of Labor Relations - Seth Borden, The Union-Free Employer. I like bulldogs in this role. Experience in this firm fits the bill based on my past engagements...
--VP of Training and Development - Rowan Manahan, Fortify Your Oasis. Need someone who thinks differently, plus the whole Irish thing buys him at least 18 months with a tough crowd of customers at corporate...
--VP - Leadership Development - Wally Bock of Three Star Leadership or Steve Roesler at All Things Workplace run my version of GE's Crotonville...
The Field Generalists -
--VP, HR - Eastern US - Lisa at HR Thoughts calms everyone down when corporate (me) makes bad decisions...
--VP, HR - Western US - Deb at 8 hours
--VP, HR - International - Evil HR Lady. She keeps the name and remains in the closet with her identity. No one challenges her and says "were different" with that mean title on the business cards. Come to think of it, she gets California as well...
Locked in the Lab:
--VP of Incentive Design/Rewards and Recognition - Paul Hebert of Incentive Intelligenc
--VP of HR Branding - Frank Roche of KnowHR Blog, making my cost control ideas look progressive...
--VP of HRMS/Technology - Jason Averbrook of Knowledge Infuser, giving me all the toys to play with...
Now that's what I call a team. Of course, it will take me three months minimum to negotiate deals with this group of
sharks leaders. They would probably have a wiki going to share notes with each other during the process....
This pipe dream brought to you by the HR Blog Power Rankings for the week of 10/8/07! Rankings below reflect blog entries from September 25th to October 10th across 113 HR-related blogs. How do we rank them? Check out the complete Poll Methodology here...
See what rants and riffs spurred my recommendation here...
In our opinion, the top 25 and those also receiving votes represent the best of the HR/Human Capital Blogs. Thanks to all listed here for your commitment to HR/Human Capital community!
1. Evil HR Lady (Power Rating- 7, Last Poll - #13)
2. Fortify Your Oasis (Power Rating- 6, Last Poll - #1)
3. 8 hours
4. JibberJobber (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #24)
5. Pennsylvania Employme
6. KnowHR Blog (Power Rating - 5, Last Poll - #3)
7. The Business of Management - John Hollon (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #8)
8. Knowledge Infuser (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #11)
9. All Things Workplace (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #9)
10. HR Thoughts (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #15)
11. Compensation Force (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #4)
12. Incentive Intelligenc
13. systematicHR (Power Rating- 5, Last Poll - #20)
14. The Career Revolution (Power Rating- 4, Last Poll - #14)
15. Three Star Leadership - Wally Bock (Power Rating- 4, Last Poll - #10)
16. Employee Evolution (Power Rating- 4, Last Poll - #16)
17. McArthur's Rant (Power Rating- 4, Last Poll - #19)
18. Execupundit (Power Rating- 3, Last Poll - #6)
19. Jon Ingham
20. Managed Care Matters (Power Rating- 3, Last Poll - NR)
21. Ask a Manager (Power Rating- 2, Last Poll - #21)
22. My Global Career (Power Rating- 3, Last Poll - NR)
21. Taleo Blog (Power Rating- 2, Last Poll - #21)
22. Suits In The Workplace (Power Rating - 2, Last Poll - #22)
23. The Union-Free Employer (Power Rating - 2, Last Poll - NR)
24. I Hate Your Job (Power Rating - 2, Last Poll - NR)
25. Guru (Power Rating- 2, Last Poll - NR) (Power Rating - 5, Last Poll -3)
Also Receiving Votes: Marketing Headhunter, Guerilla HR, The Work Clinic, The Future of Work We
On Probation/Not Eligible For Poll - The HR Capitalist (Please Read Anyway!!!)